Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

intro: finding a project

I have come to a turning point in my life. Unfortunately, I have no idea which way to turn. In fact, I don’t even know where each direction might lead. In documenting this juncture, I am attempting to find the inspiration that will label the signs at the crossroad and help me pick a direction to follow.

I don’t have the ambition to embark on a more defined project. This will not become a regurgitation of The Julie/Julia Project, although I am tempted to cook my way through the vegetarian recipes in Madhur Jaffrey’s An Invitation to Indian Cooking. I have attempted to start a food blog, and I certainly take enough of pictures of my cooking to fill one, but as you’ll see, I haven’t gotten much further than an introductory post.  (Note to anyone who stumbles by that link:  Husband and I have since graduated from our respective programs and live together. We eat out a lot.)

I also have a history of starting blogs and giving them up. I used to write in a journal on a regular basis, but that has lagged in recent years as well. I simply forgot to write or post, or more accurately, I felt I had nothing to say. As evidenced by earlier posts on this blog (which I may or may not delete), its previous iteration attempted to tell funny stories about my quirky life. My life has gotten no less quirky. In fact, I have an unfinished manifesto on Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark sitting in my drafts. I will probably still post anecdotes about my quirky life. They may or may not entertain anyone. I may even finish my manifesto about the U2/Broadway/comic book conglomeration that is Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.  I still have strong feelings about it, and they do not include shame for having seen it.  In order to complain about something, I figure you have to experience it, and experience it I did.

Yes, I go on tangents. Anyway.

The best description of this project is a “virtual to-do list.” Hence I titled it that. Creative? Not hugely. But by publishing my to-do list on the internet and sharing it with my friends, I suppose that commits me to accomplish these items.   

Here are some of them in no particular order:
  1. Redecorate my living room
  2. Organize my kitchen
  3. Redecorate my bedroom
  4. Find the perfect eyeliner
  5. Put a dent in my novel
  6. Revise my thesis and prepare it for submission
  7. Minimize the amount of life detritus in my apartment (read: clean, organize, and make a lot of donations to the Salvation army, because no one needs two VCRs or any video cassettes at all)
  8. Find a career path
  9. Find my signature shade of lipstick
  10. Cook my way through Madhur Jaffrey
  11. Improve my wardrobe and, perhaps even my fashion sense
  12. Hop on the disability studies train
  13. Pare down my extensive library
  14. Live a greener life
  15. Successfully transition from pescatarian to vegetarian
They have a slightly self-improvement, homemaker-like flavor. Maybe I just want to feel like I'm living in an issue of Real Simple.  Blame my subscription (which goes directly against the idea of living a greener life by being a waste of paper. But online magazines still have a long way to go. Or at least Real Simple does.) Taking care of my home and myself are important to me, and I have been neglecting them as of late. I hope that if I organize my outer space, stylize my outer person, and otherwise refine my surroundings, my inner world and self will follow suit. Perhaps if I pare down the books around me, my writer's block will ease up and I can finish my own. Maybe, with the outside order improved, I will be better able to focus on my inner self.

No comments: