Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

downsizing the library (or: why i'm a literary pirate)

Update: For a much smarter way to say some of the things I attempted below, see this post on Apartment Therapy.

I have a Masters in English. Throughout grad school, I called myself a "literary pirate."

Why? Specifically because in addition to the late works of Thomas Hardy, I truly appreciate the pleasure of young adult novels. Trashy ones, often times. I have read Twilight and although it is hardly well written, I appreciated it for what it was: a young adult romance full of misguided angst. (I didn't like the controlling hero or the heroine's self-definition through her love interest, but something about the crappy writing pulled me in and wouldn't let me go until it was all over.)

I have also worked in romance publishing. For a small, independent, mass-market publisher that couldn't hold on to good writers because it couldn't pay them what larger houses could. I have read a lot of mid-grade romance. And there are plenty of worse things I could have done for eight hours a day.

This could easily turn into a treatise about the values of popular fiction. I won't go there. Suffice it to say, I love to read and my tastes are not as discriminating as I once thought.

And I love books. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd even ponder buying an e-reader. I also never thought I'd see the day that I wouldn't by CDs, but that day has come and gone.

I love books, but I also love trees. And if trees don't have to die--or I don't have to be surrounded by dead trees--in order for me to read a book, I am all about that.  My expansive library had, in recent years, turned into a burden. It haunted me a little. I was already reeling from the fact that even after the purchase of a rather large bookcase a few years ago, I have no room for any more books. And then I went to grad school and had to buy probably 50 more. Husband has books from his parents' house and from grad school that live in boxes because we simply have no room for them.

And you know what's not happening to these books while they're littering my shelves and decorating my walls? They are not being read. And at the end of the day, a book is meant to be read. The majority of books are not decorative. The ones I have--mainly novels--are not coffee table books. They are gorgeous when they're all lined up, but that, in my opinion, is not their purpose. I'm a defender of literacy and someone who must have a book with her at almost all times. I read on the subway, I read in order to fall asleep, I read when I'm bored, I read for utmost pleasure. I can honestly say that, in my memory, there has never been a time when I wasn't reading a book. Meaning, there has never been a moment when you could ask me, "What are you reading?" and I wouldn't have an answer. I am always reading. I may have just started, I may be in the middle, or I may be desperate to get to the end, but I always have a book to go home to. But only read one book at a time. It's only physically possible to read one book at a time.

Ergo, I have hundreds too many.

I had to be vicious.  I had to be a pirate about it. I had to loot my library indiscriminately and box it up without thinking too hard about it. I would only keep things that met very specific criteria (favorite authors and books, gifts, anthologies, and things like Proust had to stay). I also did this when Husband was out, because he's not quite a literary pirate yet.

I packed until I ran out of boxes, and 175 books later we have significantly downsized our library. Husband came home, looked sad, forced me to babble something like I did two paragraphs ago, and then proceeded to unpack his boxes of books from other locations and pack a lot of them up as well.

I think the folks at the Salvation Army are getting a great deal. Since they're getting the better part of the library of a literary scholar (in pirate guise), these books are annotated. I took out about 6 Post-It pads worth of notes, flags, and other sticky items. Would I want to buy already-underlined and marked up books? No. But maybe someone else will, and they'll learn from my notes and underlining.

I also defiantly left my name in most of them. It's like writing your name on a dollar bill. Maybe I'll get it back one day.

Here are the results:
Note: These were full.

Not shown: three more boxes.
It's a disorganized mess, but the books are going to a better place, where they will ideally be sold to people who will read them and love them. There's Dickens and Austen in there, Flaubert and Turgenev, Bronte and Bridget Jones's Diary.

I'm already having thoughts--I kept a Christopher Rice novel to reread and now I want to reread all my Christopher Rice books--but I know I'll feel better when I have new, light shelves covered with meaningful artifacts from our travels and our life.

Salvation Army just needs to come now so I don't have any more time to think about it.

What about you? Does the mere idea of downsizing your library make you rock and suck your thumb? Or have you always had a carefully pared-down collection?

No comments: