Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

getting seasonal

Guess what? I'm not done talking about things we did on Saturday. It really was a big day.

Yes, I told you that we went fabric shopping on Saturday, but that was not the beginning nor the end of our travels. First we stopped at CB2 to return a throw pillow liner that had unfortunately been sliced long before we bought it and was spewing down everywhere. Thanks to CB2's great customer service, they overlooked the fact that the return period had long since passed in order to provide us with something that wasn't basically broken. We also checked out their lamp selection, as mentioned here and ended up saying "meh" to just about everything.

We didn't leave the store empty-handed. We left with these cuties:


Aren't they adorable? Subtly seasonal but totally appropriate to have out now. We should probably pick up some new tea lights, because the ones pictured are both a.) completely useless and b.) the last ones we own in the universe.

We didn't stop there. After our trip to The City Quilter, we dropped in at a flea market across the street (the best use of a parking garage I have ever seen), looked through some vintage post cards and otherwise enjoyed ourselves without buying a thing.

We then ventured on to West Elm to check out some other lamps we'd been thinking about. We are now in a lamp holding pattern because we hate everything. The ones I thought I liked at West Elm seem entirely too tall. I need to figure out how tall table lamps should be. I think I need some sort of decorating encyclopedia. Does such a thing exist?

But we didn't leave that store empty-handed, either. After pondering a couple of their Christmas trees, we decided to think some more about our eco-friendly tree selection. We couldn't resist this little display:


We picked up a star anise-covered decorative ball and paired it with some bright green acorns in one of our crystal bowls. I wish I had smell-o-vision so you could get a whiff of the star anise. It smells as subtly festive as it looks!

Last, but not least, is the bowl I could not leave the store without:


It is currently packed with 8 pounds of apples (which all fit, by the way), because I asked Husband to pick up some apples for apple sauce. I may have written "8 pounds" on his shopping list. I did not actually intend for him to buy that many, but the more the merrier for this awesome hammered aluminum bowl and our future apple sauce!

I had been pondering the perfect fruit bowl for our lovely yellow table, and I can't tell you how amazing I think the silver looks with the yellow. With the addition of our folding chairs (which lived in Philadelphia with Husband for two years), I think the kitchen is coming along just as steadily as the living room without putting so much effort into it!

And that's how we do festive at the Philirao house.

No comments: