Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

the philiraos sit on a couch

I am happy to report that living room overhaul is in full swing!

Husband and I took a trip to CB2 last week to sit on our couch again. And Husband asked a lot of very good questions about the couch while he waited for me to arrive. Sometimes train delays are a good thing. They get the hard questions out of the way before I get there, so I can focus on fun things, like throw pillows.

The hard questions included:
  • Do you have a swatch of the fabric?
    • Answer: Yes!
  • What is the lifespan of the couch?
    • Answer: Seven years.
  • Should we stain-proof it?
    • Answer: Nope. It comes already scotch-guarded!
  • How many throw pillows do we need?
    • Answer: A ton. But we have down pillow inserts for $14.99 that you can cover any way you like!
By the time I got there, husband had a swatch in hand and had decided we needed six throw pillows to cover the back of the couch. We left the store with six down inserts and two of these. That lovely lime green/citron color in the center of the starburst will be the inspiration for how we accent the room. Yay! Inspiration!

I called my mom--aka: my sewing machine--the next day to gush about the big project we’ll be doing over Thanksgiving. Making covers for six 23” square throw pillows. With zippers! Thankfully my mother loves such projects and is thrilled to help out. Except for the zippers, which she hates. We’ll see how I do with zippers.  

Mom is more excited that I’m planning to go to fabric stores in New York. Usually I chicken out of going to the big fabric stores in New York because I don’t understand them. I don’t know how to find my trusty cottons and it always seems like everything in a million dollars. Hopefully a little research--and Husband’s ability to ask for help in stores, whereas I would rather leave empty-handed than speak to a human--will help us out. I really just want three shades of solid broadcloth. Probably the citron color, a linen/beige, and if I can manage it, a bright blue. I would love to have a mix of prints, but I swear that I have a glandular problem that prevents me from thinking any prints match with each other. At least when I try to combine them. Other people can combine them with great aplomb, but not me. It has to be a glandular problem. I should have it looked into. It will make my living room less bland. 

Once we purchase the couch (later this week!), the hunt for the perfect rug begins in earnest. We intended to go to Flor after CB2 but discovered they closed at 7:00. And it was 7:00 by the time we finished at CB2. What? I needed placemats for the bright yellow table I painted over the summer! Because my mother has not sewed me four sets, which all match the bright yellow table! 

Stay tuned for the rug saga!

No comments: